Work package 4 leader
Bloedvoorziening Complement research, Plesmanlaan 125
Research Gate profile
Ilse Jongerius is group leader at Sanquin and associate professor at the Amsterdam University medical centre. The general aims of the Jongerius Lab are (i) to investigate how complement is regulated on different human host cells in health and disease and (ii) to study how unwanted complement activation can be influenced in order to tip the balance back to normal and minimize or prevent damage to the host.
She graduated in Biology and obtained her PhD in 2010 from the University of Utrecht (the Netherlands). Dr. Jongerius was appointed as a post-doctoral researcher at Imperial College (London, UK), Sir Williman Dunn School of Pathology (Oxford, UK), National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (Bilthoven, Netherlands) and the University Medical Centre Utrecht (the Netherlands). In 2018 she settled as an independent researcher in the Department of Immunopathology at Sanquin Research Institute (Amsterdam, the Netherlands). Dr. Jongerius combines her research activity with teaching as an associated Professor at the Amsterdam University Medical Centre (the Netherlands).
1. Dekkers G, Brouwer MC, Jeremiasse J, Kamp A, Biggs RM, van Mierlo G, Lauder S, Katti S, Kuijpers TW, Rispens T , Jongerius I. Unraveling the Effect of a Potentiating Anti-Factor H Antibody on Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome-Associated Factor H Variants. J Immunol 2020 Aug 26;ji2000368; doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.2000368.
2. van Beek AE, Kamp A, Kruithof S, Nieuwenhuys EJ, Wouters D, Jongerius I, Rispens T, Kuijpers TW, Gelderman KA. Reference Intervals of Factor H and Factor H-Related Proteins in Healthy Children. Front Immunol. 2018 Aug 2;9:1727. doi:10.3389/fimmu.2018.01727.
3. Baas I, Delvasto-Nuñez L, Ligthart P, Brouwer C, Folman C, Reis ES, Ricklin D, Lambris JD, Wouters D, de Haas M, Jongerius I, Zeerleder SS. Complement C3 inhibition by compstatin Cp40 prevents intra- and extravascular hemolysis of red blood cells. Haematologica. 2020 Jan 31;105(2):e57-e60. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2019.216028.
4. Hovingh ES, van den Broek B, Kuipers B, Pinelli E, Rooijakkers SHM, Jongerius I. Acquisition of C1 inhibitor by Bordetella pertussis virulence associated gene 8 results in C2 and C4 consumption away from the bacterial surface. PLoS Pathog. 2017 Jul 24;13(7):e1006531. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1006531.
5. Pouw RB, Brouwer MC, van Beek AE, Józsi M, Wouters D, Kuijpers TW. Complement Factor H-Related Protein 4A Is the Dominant Circulating Splice Variant of CFHR4. Front Immunol. 2018 Apr 17;9:729. doi:10.3389/fimmu.2018.00729.